Wednesday, July 21, 2010

she's got legs, she knows how to use them

Lately, I have been feeling tired and, frankly, a bit lazy.  This morning my training plan called for me to ride my bike for an hour, and my daily reminder email buzzed in to remind me of my commitment.  But I didn't feel committed.  I felt tired and lazy, and I didn't want to use my legs, which were tired from yesterday's workout.  So I yawned, turned over and went back to sleep.

When I got to the office, I got an email about my friend Robin.  Robin was diagnosed with bone cancer when she was eighteen, but she survived.  She completed the Augusta Half Ironman with me last year, raising thousands of dollars through Team in Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  She is an oncology clinical social worker, so she works with cancer patients all the time.  In April, Robin celebrated thirty years without cancer with a glass of bubbly. 

But just last week, Robin was diagnosed with a secondary cancer, caused from the radiation treatments she had thirty years ago.  In early August, she will have surgery.  Either the surgeon will amputate her leg from the mid-thigh down, or he will internally amputate her femur and replace it with an artificial device, allowing her, essentially, to retain her leg.  Either way, the surgery will be followed by six months of chemotherapy. 

I am not feeling so lazy any more.  I am thanking God for what he had given me and praying for Robin.  This weekend I am racing an olympic length triathlon.  I will be dedicating the race to Robin, so please wish me luck in using my legs.  If you wish to donate to my website in Robin's honor, I know she would be pleased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment