Thursday, December 17, 2015

Wrapping Up 2015


Ever since I got off the couch and started running, cycling and swimming, I have known that I am not fast, but I can keep going, albeit slowly, longer than most.  I’d rather run a half marathon than a 5K, rather swim slowly for an hour than one fast lap in the pool.  With this in mind, after the Richmond marathon in mid-November, I began planning my 2016 year of racing.   After a year of focusing on running, logging multiple marathon distance weekend runs, plus a 40 mile ultra, I decided to get back on the bike and back in the pool.  I figured I would run marathons, ride century (100 mile) bike rides and get back into triathlon.  I prepared charts and schedules with a logical progression from one event to the next.  I had planned to tell you all about the plans.

 

And then, one day, I took a “rest day” from athletic training, which I typically take once a week, and I found that I could not climb a flight of stairs without having to sit down for a minute.  The fatigue persisted for days and weeks.  I consulted with my doctor, who had all kinds of tests run.  Medically, I am perfectly normal.  My mind and my body tell me otherwise.  I need a break.  So, my “plan” is not to plan anything until after the New Year’s Day. Meanwhile, I am running only if I feel like it, and if I’m running and want to walk, I do so.  I’m hopping on the bike during the unseasonably warm weather, and enjoying the great outdoors.  I’m going to swim at the beautiful 50 meter SwimRVA pool, but I won’t push myself.  I won’t worry about what I need to do to improve for some future event.  I will celebrate the here and now. 

 

I also will celebrate everything that Amy’s Army of 100+ Cancer Warriors has accomplished in the year since the group was formed.  We have raised over $50,000 for VCU Massey Cancer Center, funds that will be used for life-saving cancer research.  We’ve raised awareness about cancer prevention and treatments.  It’s been a good year. 

 

Many thanks to all of you for your support!

 

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Cosmetic lasers used to be heavily regulated by the Healthcare Commission; we were the unaided tattoo studio in Birmingham to be licensed for laser tattoo removal by them and we yet adhere to their high standards. Since deregulation there has been a proliferation of studios offering laser services usually bearing in mind than cheap, less-vibrant Chinese lasers but we take taking place to no Tattoo removal in Birmingham studio can come to an accord our experience on the go following lasers and no laser studio can reach agreement our knowledge of tattoos. We use a top of the range Q-switched Nd:YAG laser to ensure the best results can be achieved. http://rejuven8skinclinic.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete